Monday 13 April 2020

Ferris Wheel Patchwork

I've recently been spending time doing some traditional hand sewn patchwork (known to the English as paper-piecing and to our friends across the pond as English Paper Piecing or EPP).

Along with a Tilda quilt for my daughter (which I have been piecing on holiday and haven't taken any pictures of yet), I have picked up some patchwork I started many moons ago.

The Ferris Wheel pattern is simple as it is made up of hexagons, squares and triangles. (I've seen lots of tutorials on blogs so I'm not going to go into details of how to sew it here). However, it's really effective and it is fun to put together while I'm watching TV or catching up with friends during the 'social distancing' currently in place.

My bedroom is mainly pink and grey and eventually this will be a runner for the foot end of the bed. I've been sewing this on and off for years as I gather left over fragments of grey fabric and then run out again!

This shows a completed section of the front of the patchwork:


This shows the back - it's the section with the paper removed:



For anyone interested in the pattern, there is a downloadable copy of the instruction file available here in a shared folder on my GoogleDrive: The Ferris Wheel Instructions has the overall information and calculations for the numbers of pieces to use. 
You can buy a copy of the Ferris Wheel Printable Template here which has both a colouring page to help with designing your layout and the shapes to cut out (sized at 1 inch).

This is a screenshot I took from @JennyRach on Instagram of the cushion I made for her in a swap back in 2015 using the same pattern. It looks very different in black/white and rainbow prints ...


This is a close up of the stitching, just a simple blanket stitch done on my sewing machine to match the colour around the wheels:



Let me know if you tried this out, or shout if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment